Back Pain in Pregnancy
If you are suffering with lower back pain in pregnancy, our Sydney CBD Chiropractor may help you up to the very last stages of pregnancy. Treatment may also give you relief from sciatica, heartburn or indigestion.
Treatment for Back Pain in Pregnancy
Lower back pain in pregnancy can be relieved by maintaining spinal and pelvic alignment using specific Chiropractic techniques. If not corrected, these create an imbalance in the muscles and ligaments leading to more pain.
Treatment may include:
- massage of tight neck, lower back and pelvic muscles
- stretching and strengthening of spinal muscles
- advice to reduce swelling and inflammation
- mobilization of the spine and pelvis to retain mobility and alignment
- specific exercises to improve flexibility and balance during pregnancy
- custom orthotics to reduce foot pain
Effects of Pregnancy
- a woman’s centre of gravity moves forward to the front of her pelvis causing lower back pain in pregnancy
- as the baby grows, the curve of her lower back increases, placing extra stress on the joints
- any existing problems tend to be exacerbated leading to more pain
- about 50% of all expectant mothers develop low-back pain at some point during their pregnancies, especially during the third trimester when the baby’s body gains the most weight.
Chiropractic can help relieve some of the pain and discomfort often experienced in pregnancy. Women find Chiropractic care helps them avoid using pain medications during pregnancy.
Our Sydney pregnancy Chiropractor can be your partner for a healthy pregnancy.
We can provide lower back pain relief in pregnancy. And also keep correct spinal alignment, as well as offer nutritional, ergonomic and exercise advice to help address your needs.
Chiropractic tips for pregnant women
- get Chiropractic adjustments regularly to help maintain a healthy spine and pelvis
- do some gentle exercise each day. Walking and swimming are relatively safe exercises for pregnant women
- avoid activities that involve bouncing movements
- stop exercising immediately if suffering unusual symptoms such as nausea, dizziness or weakness
- wearing flat shoes with arch supports help and a custom made orthotic can help
- when picking up children, bend from the knees, not the waist.
- lay on your side with a pillow between your knees when sleeping