Carpal tunnel syndrome is a condition of the hand caused by pressure on the median nerve that runs through the wrist. Our clinic has a high success rate of treating carpal tunnel syndrome. This includes educating our patients on what activities to avoid and by using hands on therapy that quite often leads to avoiding surgery.
Symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome may include weakness,numbness, tingling or pain of the hand.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Causes
These may any include:
- several types of arthritis
- Pregnancy which causes fluid retention that may then compress the median nerve
- Fractures of the wrist
- RSI i.e. a condition caused by performing repetitive tasks over a long period of time, eg. housework, typing at a computer, and work such as gardening, digging and construction
- repetitive sporting movements such as swinging of tennis racquets and golf clubs
- commonly overlooked causes include nerve problems in the neck which can interfere with the nerves supplying the arms and hands, therefore causing pain, numbness or weakness.
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome Treatment
An initial assessment by our Sydney Chiropractor will determine the cause of the carpal tunnel syndrome.
Then treatment may include:
- stretching or strengthening of the affected muscles, ligaments or tendons
- friction therapy to reduce scar tissue and any adhesion (ART)
- mobilizations of the hand, wrist, or elbow
- education on what activities to avoid
Depending on the severity and success of the treatment, a referral to another specialist may occur.