A hamstring strain is a common injury treated by our Sydney Chiropractor at Advanced Sports Chiropractic. It is an an injury to a group of muscles at the back of the thighs.
When a hamstring strains, a sudden sharp pain or pulling sensation is felt in the back of the thigh. There are several grades of hamstring strains ranging from a grade 1 to a grade 3 tear:
- Grade 1: a small number of torn fibres resulting in some pain, but full function retained.
- Grade 2: quite a few number of torn muscle fibres with moderate loss of function.
- Grade 3: all muscle fibres are ruptured resulting in major loss of function.
The majority of hamstrings strains are grade 2 tears.
Our Sports Chiropractor uses different treatment methods to deal with a hamstring strain. Early intervention and correct diagnosis is important for a quick healing process and to reduce the likelihood of recurrence.
Hamstring Strain Treatment
Our patients will undergo a thorough examination which is usually sufficient to diagnose a hamstring strain. Otherwise further investigations such as an ultrasound or MRI scan may be required.
Hamstring strain (or groin strain) treatment may include:
- soft tissue massage of affected muscles
- anti-inflammatory medication
- stretching and strengthening and joint mobilization
- ice or heat treatment
- rehabilitation exercises to improve flexibility and balance
- advice about general exercise suitability
- alignment correction of the pelvis
- custom orthotics and footwear advice
- return to activity plan
A gradual flexibility and strength program provided our Sports Chiropractor is essential for reconditioning and reducing the recurrence of the hamstring strain injury.
With appropriate care, patients with a minor hamstring strain can usually recover in two to four weeks. A more severe hamstring strain may take four to six weeks or longer for recovery. A complete rupture of the hamstring muscle may require surgery followed by intensive rehabilitation. Return to sport or activity may take six months or longer.
At Advanced Sports Chiropractic, we assess and correct the underlying causes and provide treatments to assist recovery at the site of injury. Our goal is to achieve a resolution of the injury and avoid recurrence.
Causes of Hamstring Strains
- a spinal imbalance altering the function of the surrounding muscles and joints
- fast acceleration when running
- sporting activities requiring running or kicking e.g. football, athletics and hockey (particularly sprinters and long jumpers)
- an inadequate warm-up by older athletes
Patients with a hamstring strain heal properly with appropriate Chiropractic care. Patient compliance is necessary for healing. This may include sufficient rest sufficiently from any activity, in order to not create further tissue damage.
Adopting a ‘no pain, no gain’ attitude will most likely to lead to a chronic condition of the injury. Prompt and the correct treatment of patients with a hamstring strain is essential for a quick recovery.